Okoboji Entrepreneurial Institute
Eight UI entrepreneurship students are chosen each year to participate in an advanced study of entrepreneurship at the Okoboji Entrepreneurial Institute held at Lake Okoboji, Iowa. This week-long program consists of a team-based entrepreneurial venture computer simulation, seminars with successful entrepreneurs, and networking and mentoring to enhance your understanding of entrepreneurship opportunities in Iowa. A total of 32 students from the University of Iowa, University of Northern Iowa, Iowa State University, Iowa Lakes Community College, and Buena Vista University participate each summer. Click here to watch a short video!
August 4-9, 2013
- Network with some of the top entrepreneurs from the state and country
- Gain real world experience being an entrepreneur
- Earn 3 semester hours of credit in one week
- All expenses are paid! (Student is responsible for travel to and from Okoboji)
- Current UI undergraduate student enrolled in the Certificate in Entrepreneurial Management, BBA in Management with an Entrepreneurial Management Track, Technological Entrepreneurship Certificate, or BA in Performing Arts Entrepreneurship program.
- Minimum of two of the four core required entrepreneurship courses completed.
- Minimum 2.75 GPA in the entrepreneurship program.
***Please note that preference will be given to students currently pursuing the creation of a new venture.
- One application
- One short essay: Describe in detail your entrepreneurial background, venture(s) and goals, as well as why you think you should be selected for this institute. Submissions should be typed and no longer than one page
- One current resume
The institute is a joint effort of the State Board of Regents, the Iowa Department of Economic Development, the Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Centers at the University of Iowa, Iowa State University, and University of Northern Iowa, Iowa Lakes Community College, Buena Vista University, the Iowa Lakes Corridor Development Corporation and over 30 private companies.
"OEI was by far one of the best experiences of college! I had so much fun, networked with successful and motivating entrepreneurs, and met my future employer the first night there. It was an incredible experience that I will never forget"
- Brittany Wellman, Graduate, UI Health and Human Physiology
"The only class I've taken that I wish I could take again! It covered every aspect of entrepreneurship that you can expect in the real world; the business side, the creativity, the risks, the relationships, the leadership and team building. This is simply the best opportunity a student with an interest in entrepreneurship has available to them, and you receive credit for it."
- Kyle Ellis, Graduate, UI Engineering
"I have never experienced something so fun and enjoyable and so useful and beneficial to my future."
- Michael Hubbard, UI Pre-Medical Student